Plated Barrels

General queries KR Bikes
headcoats
Premix Junkie

Plated Barrels

Post by headcoats » Sat May 05, 2018 6:03 pm

For those of this Parish you know I don't have a KR :shock: but noticed P J Engineering, the rebore Gurus here in the midlands no longer offer a re plating service , one reason they have to farm the work out and waiting times and quality reared their ugly heads !

Cutting a long story short :lol: I'm thinking of getting some Athena Barrels for the trust Marmite #2 build and they have plated barrels

So question is if they did need doing , who do you use for a reliable quality service :P
Can it yer old boiler

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Plated Barrels

Post by SP_BOTT » Sat May 05, 2018 7:49 pm

Interesting, I was led to believe there are only two places in the UK that does plating, think I'd be in touch with Sean (Tuning works) and see what he thinks, as he has a good rep and provides a plating service for members, although this is outsourced.

headcoats
Premix Junkie

Post by headcoats » Sat May 05, 2018 8:51 pm

Was told these 2 companies but was also told it's 50/50 on a good service !

Aptec and Langcourt.
Can it yer old boiler

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Sun May 06, 2018 8:39 am

Sean at TTW deals with ceramic coating from aptec. You can go direct, however TTW pass on some of the trade discount so it's actually cheaper thru TTW.

What you do need is to send barrels & pistons.

Check if there are any cracks and they can be welded before the replate. However if you don't ask for them to be welded it wont get done. If you weld after a replate, you need another replate.......

TTW recently did my 250/wossner piston replate. They have also done my Aprilia and NSR's in the past. Highly recommended
Last edited by mellorp on Mon May 14, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry » Sun May 06, 2018 9:20 am

Looks like they still do sleeves

Not for the purist may be - but i doubt many of these bikes get ridden any more - and on the road you can't tell the difference
Smokings Good For You

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm

heat discipation from sleeve to alu is much less.
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

headcoats
Premix Junkie

Post by headcoats » Sun May 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Seems a lot more expensive than re boring a steel liner then :shock:

Bet after having a pair of barrels re plated, then some half decent pistons. then not much change from £500 ?
Can it yer old boiler

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Sun May 06, 2018 10:27 pm

Wossner piston kits £200
Replate per barrel about £150

£500 for a new top end. £400 for a set of BDK Kips valves and £500 for a crank rebuild... It isn't cheap but you have a motor good for 10,000+ road miles

Virgie
Heavy Smoker

Post by Virgie » Sat May 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi there, I can say 100% go to Aptec (Poeton Aptec 01452 300800) and speak to Mark. They have been saving my engine from my race bike for a few years now after a horror job from Langcourt. Langcourts work was so bad you could hardly see that they had done any work on my barrels at all, and they charged nearly £500 to damage my engine.
Aptec came recommended to me and rescued the day with seriously quality welding and faultless recoating. If I knew how to post photos I have great shots showing the difference in workmanship between them and Langcourt and will more than happily email them to you. Mark will strip the barrels for no charge, inspect them and give an honest opinion of the condition of the barrel and what work needs doing. I have has 3 sets of barrels done now to the finest standard, they come back looking literally brand new. My most recent bill was £470 but £100 was welding and machining the damage from a serious engine blow up.
As I said I will happily post photos because Langcourt were dishonest - photos don't lie in this case because it is so blatantly obvious!

headcoats
Premix Junkie

Post by headcoats » Sun May 13, 2018 10:36 pm

People like photos, so if you can help others , then justified :P
Can it yer old boiler

Virgie
Heavy Smoker

Post by Virgie » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 pm

I would be happy to post the photos because seeing is believing, it just gives an easier point of reference. Is there a simple guide to how that can be done these days? I might even be able to get my avatar back!

headcoats
Premix Junkie

Post by headcoats » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

FlickR is the pic site to use now
Can it yer old boiler

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Could I just say TTW only use Aptec for their ceramic plating. On the face of it TTW seem more expensive but the reality is they are cheaper than going direct to Aptec. Anyone that does nicasil plating will quote a lower price, however IMO ceramic plating is better than nicasil and Aptec thru TTW provide the best quality & value for money

https://www.thetuningworks.co.uk/store/ ... cts_id=708